Welcome!

I'm using this space to think about how nonprofits need to reinvent themselves going forward. Why? Because it's too hard to do all the good work that they are doing now within the current "paradigm" of how a nonprofit is defined, how it is "supposed" to be done.



If you care about the fate of nonprofits - if you donate, if you are a member, if you work for one, or if you need their services - I hope that you'll let me know what you think. Share some of your own ideas, too.



Some of what you read may be quite different. But I think that it's time we all thought a little differently.



Thanks so much for stopping by!



Janet



Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Craving Social Responsibility

I rarely (read: never) write about the company I currently work for (Pitney Bowes).  However, something interesting that happened last week made me decide to include them in my blog today. (Note: PB has no input or responsibility for anything I write here.) 

Because of a particular project I’ve been working on, we created a press release entitled “Pitney Bowes Adds Social Responsibility to Connect+ Printer Capability.”  I won’t go into the details of the campaign – suffice it to say that the new campaign seeks to promote national nonprofit organizations.  The hope and goal of the campaign is that it will increase these nonprofits' visibility and (hopefully) donations to their cause(s).

What I found most interesting was media reaction to the news. We had pick-ups from over two dozen publications, ranging from Philanthropy World Magazine to msn.com.  From large to small.  From for-profit to nonprofit. 

It’s striking that the market is craving social responsibility from corporations.  Media outlets are looking for examples of it.  People want to see companies making their mark in this direction.  Companies, as well, seem to want to know how it’s done.  The public, in general, wants to know that companies are involved in this type of activity.

I think it’s wonderful that Pitney Bowes is engaged in this direction.  But more importantly, I think it’s critical that we notice the public (and media ) is not only engaged but eager and on the lookout for this type of attitude and action. 

It’s a call for us all to realize there’s far too little of it going on.  Far greater need.  And there may be far greater success for everyone concerned if more would think in this direction – in both the for-profit and nonprofit sectors. 

No comments:

Post a Comment